Random Discussions

Does anyone have a tracking dobsonian with a equatorial base built by them self ? if anyone did pls help me on doing so .

Also how can we know about timing of sounding rocket launches in isro ?

The reddit community r/ISRO usually posts about upcoming launches.

Thank you @Stargazer123 !!!

Happy new-year everyone :balloon::balloon::balloon::tada::tada::tada:

2 Likes

Can anyone pls help me learn more about astrophotography ? I am interested to do so but i am really confused of these terminologies like dark frames, bias and etc. Also i completely dont know anything on these filters used for photography. Pls anyone help (not urgent but just for knowledge).

This is a good video explaining calibration frames.

1 Like

Thank you @Stargazer123 !!

We can talk about this during this Sundayā€™s meetup - Monthly Meetup January 2022

Yea @siva i will try to login this time :+1:t2:

Hi CAC members, This is my first post to this group. Not sure if this is the appropriate topic. I will be visiting Chennai with my family between July 7- Aug 7. We are thinking about bringing our astrophotography equipment, so that we can photograph southern hemisphere objects that arenā€™t visible from where we are located. We would love to meet up with other group members while we are there, if possible.

2 Likes

Will be looking forward to meeting you in one of our events!

1 Like

Not sure ā€œSouthern Hemisphereā€ objects are visible from Chennai. :thinking:

Can an expert clarify?

1 Like

Hi @astroparent, I am located at latitude 37Ā° N, so objects in the southern celestial hemisphere which are at declination lower than -53Ā° never rise above my horizon. On the other hand, Chennai is at latitude 13Ā° N, and so objects with declination down to -77Ā° would theoretically rise above the horizon. In practice, visibility below altitude of 20Ā° is poor. So I think the main difference will be that the objects between declination -35Ā° to -60Ā° are practically invisible from here but should be visible from Chennai because they will be 24Ā° higher in the sky.

2 Likes

Any info regarding the star party ?

1 Like

Hey @Thiyagarajan , we are thinking of one this month. I personally wanted to go to a location other than Kavalur which weā€™ve been to last 2 times. So any suggestions are welcome!

It might be a bit costly and logistically challenging to organise this. However, I guess, it might be just one of the best experiences we could hope for. Indiaā€™s first Dark Sky Reserve to come up in Ladakh soon | India News,The Indian Express. If you guys are keen on this and plan for this, Iā€™ll surely fly down there.
Intriguingly, came across this video from the sky at night magazine here in UK.

1 Like

@Gnana I think some of our members have been to Handle before, in the pre-covid times.
Lets see if we can combine Hanle, Ladakh with the new Devasthal observatory in Uttarakhand. Thatā€™ll make for an interesting trip.

1 Like

Iā€™m planning to travel to Chennai / Coimbatore from July 9 - Aug 9. I was planning to haul my astrophotography equipment along, but it seems like the forecast is cloudy for the next several weeks with no breaks. I am wondering now if there is any point in lugging all that equipment. What is the probability of clear nights in the next month?

Hi ! , does anyone have or use their equatorial platform or mounts to make their dobsonain telescope (ota) automatic (goto) ?