Random Discussions

Thanks for promoting me to “Regular” level user !!
I will surely be active and contribute myself for astronomy and my group !

1 Like

Hi all, just wanted to know how to enroll as a member for taking part in events and discussions. It would be great if I get to chat with anyone of the moderator in detail.

Thanks in advance

We didn’t have any physical events lately (thanks covid-19) but @siva will be able to provide you with more details as he organizes such events. We do have a monthly meetup on our Skype group.

Hi there ! This is Shruthi ,Im currently doing my 12th grade (bio maths) ,Im interested in astrobiology and i want to pursue a carrier in astrobiology but i am unsure what subject to take up as my UG (undergraduate course) . is biotechnology a good course that would lead me to astrobiology or is it not the right one ? kindly assist me

Why everyone is silent in our group ? Is there anyway to fix it ?

WhatsApp or telegram will be more active.

1 Like

Then let’s create some group in it so that we could share some pics or clear some doubts . But I am not sure about this but we could get some suggestion about it from our leader . I think people are active but aren’t looking out in our cac app or website .

Also the presence of our group is not know by many people in our surrounding area . We should take some serious initiatives to let people Know about us .

Yeah even I didn’t know about CAC for about a year from when I got into astronomy.

I would second the Whatsapp idea. Maybe the mods can create a group & those of us who are interested can join. The counter is that it could fragment the group between the forum & whatsapp.

Would be great if we can conduct some meetups / stargazing meetups. It would engage more people also. I know Covid is a problem, but since we will be meeting in the open, I guess the risk is low. We could limit to people who are vaccinated.

Just my 2 paise.

2 Likes

Hi, there’s a meetup planned for this month end. We will be putting up a post later this week.

We have had a lot of discussions about having a WhatsApp/Telegram group. Some points here:

Again, any club is only as active as its members. Most of us haven’t used our equipment in a while because of the rains(some of us have even had our equipments flooded - please see the old posts) and this reflects on the number of posts you are seeing.

Our star parties are kicking off again this month-end as the pandemic and the weather have started to improve, and hopefully, we should have more events as COVID-19 starts to decline.

Then let’s create some group in it so that we could share some pics or clear some doubts

You could do the same in the forum as well :slight_smile:

With WhatsApp(or the Facebook group that we used to have before), we had the exact same question being posted multiple times a week. Moderating the group itself becomes a demanding job which is not something a volunteer driven organisation is supposed to be.

The counter is that it could fragment the group between the forum & whatsapp.

A more important point is that, knowledge on WhatsApp eventually disappears. What I mean by that is, if I make a long reply about how to choose a camera for planetary astrophotography with a given setup, a month or two down the line, that reply more or less disappears.

People usually do not search for something in WhatsApp and there’s no easy way to share something again(unless I go and reply to that message with a . or something). If I had used some media to illustrate my explanation, there’s a good chance it goes missing as well if I delete it from my phone. As a result, you will either have an unclear answer or no answer if whoever has replied doesn’t see the new message.

Another point is that, WhatsApp replies gradually but definitely lose their quality over time. Having something like a forum makes people to be more precise and accurate with their replies.

Having said that, I am not against having a group itself. We do have a group that we mostly use for coordinating events and stuff. If you are interested in joining it, please DM(do not reply as a comment here, we moderate private information) me your number and I shall add you.

3 Likes

Sorry about being thick … How do I dm? :thinking:

If you click on my username/avatar, you will find the Message button.

Yeah i think it’s true that we usually won’t search for old replies in WhatsApp.So let it be . We shall use our CAC web .

I don’t see a message option. Am I allowed to DM as a basic user?

Have enabled DMs for basic users, please try now.

Thanks, I managed to DM you. Please check

What is the shield like badge next to their names in some of our members ? Is there any way to earn it ?

Moderators have that badge next to their name. Based on the participation and activity in this group the members are promoted. If I’m right you might have received a message from ‘discobot’ about this forum. Check that out to know more :slight_smile:

2 Likes