Random Discussions

Use this topic for any short stuff that you want to post. This topic can be an alternative to Whatsapp messages, Facebook posts, etc.

2 Likes

Tonight there are 2 Meteor Showers are at Peak:

The Perseids meteor shower is near its peak.

Zenith Hourly Rate: 100 per Hour.
Average Velocity: 59 km/s
Approx Magnitude: 2.2

The eta-Eridanids meteor shower is near its peak.

Zenith Hourly Rate: 6 per Hour.
Average Velocity: 65 km/s
Approx Magnitude: 2.0

3 Likes

A guide to view the meteors.

3 Likes

With this weather, moon, and the city lights, the best we can expect to see is a rain shower :laughing:

2 Likes

Cloudy in Vellore here as well. Hopefully I’ll be able to able to catch a sight if it doesn’t rain.

Here too, good rain and cloudy, we can expect same for tomorrow as well, so show is ruled out.:pensive:

Looking at this satellite map, I think everything is ruled out for at least another week.

Has anyone had experience with building your own telescope?

Hi @Venu, I see there’s a separate topic about this so I will respond there.

The title is a clickbait but the science is very interesting.

how to find various deep sky objects through a manual dobsonian telescope ? I have brotle 6 light pollution in my location .

It comes with practice…you need to start by seeing clusters and bright nebulae. Learn to star hop. Once you get the hang of it, you can start trying for fainter objects. Bortle 6 is actually not that bad.

Thank you for the info ! will try to star hop today :+1:

I use sky view app on my phone. Then, use the finderscopes to narrowdown. Then use the scope to look at the Target.
Another tool that I use on my computer is stellarium. It only helps to get the approximate location of the targets. Still it takes efforts to spot the targets.

Thanks !!! It works good !

1 Like

Can anyone help me in Finding the requirements for becoming a 3rd trust level user and have I completed it yet ?
Regular - Chennai Astronomy Club

2 Likes

You can find the requirements here: Understanding Discourse Trust Levels | Blog

1 Like

But how can I check if I have accomplished it?

I am sure that you will get a notification and a message once you get a badge.

1 Like

Thanks for the info !