Planets through telescope

No problem ! Your image still good :relaxed: But,with Barlow comes a 2x magnification and 2x hardwork and stress when using manually :joy:

1 Like

Telescope: 8" GSO
camera: ASI 224 MC
captured Jupiter without Barlow as it was difficult to keep the planet in the FOV
I have stacked 70% of the best frames among 2000 frames and used PIPP, Autistakkert and registax for processing.
Took this photo when the moon was shining so bright. I will attempt next time when the moon is not around.
FB

6 Likes

Great image! The Great Red Spot and Io are visible.

2 Likes

Great !!! Try to use a Barlow and use 720×720 pixel frames to get higher fps !

Hi I just wanted to know can I join in these star gazing , meetups or how to enroll for those.

Thanks in advance

1 Like
1 Like

Image -

Jupiter Final Image 1

Description -

After a long break i have started capturing planets again ! Even though not my best pic , this is one of a kind of mine . This time i was able to capture the “west-setting” Jupiter with a transit of its largest moon “Ganymede” at local 7:17 PM ist on wednesday dec’15 .Completely manually tracked .

Equipment -

Orion xt8 dobsonian
Zwo asi 120-mcs

Software -
Sharp capture
Pipp
Autostakker
Registax
Adobe photo editor

Details-

Sharp capture-
Captured 5000 frames with RGB24 mode in AVI format

Pipp-
Centered and cropped the frames

Autostakker-
Stacked 47% of the frames With 22 points

Registax-
Used wavelet functions

Adobe photo editor-
Edited the final image

Hope you all like it !!!

6 Likes

My first attempt at the sun !!!

Even though this doesn’t belong to the planets ,it’s still the reason for us to be alive right now and thus needs it special position in this topic !

It’s a single shot and directly edited .

8 Likes

Very nice. Looking forward for more photos

1 Like

Thanks ! @Chennaisky will sure do more !

After a long time here i am!

Mars

8:26pm/2nd/dec/2022

Description -

Again after a long break i have started to capture planets again! This time i captured the Mars at 8:26 PM (IST) on Friday of dec’02 .Completely manually tracked .

Equipment -

Orion xt8 dobsonian
Zwo asi 120-mcs
2X barlow

Software -
Sharp capture
Pipp
Autostakker
Registax
Adobe photo editor

Details-

Sharp capture-
Captured around 14,000 frames with RGB24 mode in AVI format

Pipp-

Autostakker-
Stacked 75% of the frames (Around 10,000)

Registax-
Used wavelet functions

Adobe photo editor-
Edited the final image

Thank you !!!

8 Likes

Beautiful capture @Thiyagarajan. I was hoping to have a clear night on 7th Dec here so that, I could see moon occulting Mars. Unfortunately, I’m sitting under a massive blanket of clouds for weeks on end. It is nice to see Mars at least through your image. Let me pray I have at least a couple of hours of break in the clounds in the right region on 8 early morning. See if you can capture it. It will be a very close pass to the full moon from where you are.

1 Like

Thanks @Gnana ! Hope we all get a glimpse of Mars for few hours on 7th. Waiting to see what you all have captured !

Another marvel here !

Jupiter

My one best yet …

29th/dec/2022 - 6:14PM

Description -

This time i had a marvelous opportunity capturing Jupiter (Even though it was not on my plan) and i was surprised to produce my best one yet !!!

Completely manually tracked .

Equipment -

Orion xt8 dobsonian
Zwo asi 120-mcs
2X barlow

Software -
Sharp capture
Pipp
Autostakker
Registax
Adobe photo editor

Details-

Sharp capture-
Captured around 6,000 frames with RGB24 mode in AVI format

Pipp-

Autostakker-
Stacked 40% of the frames (Around 3,600)

Registax-
Used wavelet functions

Adobe photo editor-
Edited the final image

Thank you !!!

Bonus - i edited it to a “Voyager Type” image , here is it …

Enjoy :blush:

5 Likes

High Altitude Weather Balloon

This actually doesn’t come under planetary photography but also, I CAN’T POST THIS UNDER ANY TOPIC!!!

This is a very unusual sighting in Chennai and also considering the current “balloon games” of Western countries, I captured this last month.

This balloon was about 35-40Kms above the surface (Where due to lack of air ‘n’ pressure this expands as we can see here

Equipment -

Orion xt8 dobsonian
Zwo asi 120-mcs
2X barlow

Software -
Sharp capture
Pipp
Autostakker
Registax
Adobe photo editor

Details-

Sharp capture-
Captured around 3,000 frames with MONO24 mode in AVI format

Pipp-

Autostakker-
Stacked 70% of the frames

Registax-
Used wavelet functions

Adobe photo editor-
Edited the final image

Thank you !!!

2 Likes

Very cool, @Thiyagarajan. But how did you get the position of the balloon in the sky? (i.e. the alt & az)

1 Like

ThanK you @Stargazer123 ! Well i didn’t identify it on purpose, when i was looking for Jupiter in the sky, I found a bright dot in the sky as bright as Jupiter. I then pointed my telescope towards it but, it wasn’t a planet. I checked multiple times and then it started to sway in the sky. Then i realized it was a weather balloon of course.

2 Likes

I saw a similar object sometime in 2021. It looked a lot like Jupiter (or Venus but high in the sky) and and it started moving and that’s when I realized it wasn’t a planet. I didn’t take a photo of it though.

2 Likes

@vijay Actually, these weather balloons are pretty commonly used and are more frequent than rocket launches. But usually, it is hard to locate one (and probably verify that is in fact a weather balloon). They are harder to locate in the noon ±3 hours because of their positioning relative with sun. When i captured this photo, it was eve 6’o clock and thus was easy to photograph it.

1 Like

@Thiyagarajan Nice capture. Just a query. How do you track objects using Dobs mount with this camera mounted?

1 Like