Star party planned on Jan 1,2022

Hey everyone, hope you’re all doing well!

After a long while, we’ve decided to organise a star party during Jan 1-2 (Saturday- Sunday) at Kavalur.

Considering safety, this star party session will only be open to those who have taken both doses of the vaccine. The number of attendees is also limited to low double digits (those with prior star party experience will be given preference).

If you’re interested to attend, please register in the form below,

Anyway, merry Christmas and Advance Happy New year!

Edit (Jan 6): The start party is cancelled due to the newly announced lockdown in TN. We will host one as soon as it is safe to do so (which I personally hope would be by early Feb). A new post will be made if we do so. Thank you all for your interest in participating!

5 Likes

Thanks Kishan, I have filled the form.

Could you please share accommodation arrangements, I will be coming with my wife & 7 year old son. Also when should we reach Kavalur & when do we start return journey to Chennai?

Thanks,
AstroParent

The number of attendees is also limited to low double digits

• Currently, we are looking to cap it at 10-12.
  • We will prefer those with equipment as COVID-19 can spread through eyes(sharing eyepieces is therefore something we will try and reduce as much as possible).
  • Group registrations will be hard because of the crowd cap.
  • Accommodation will be in tents in a well-fenced area.
  • There will be access to restrooms.
  • Timing and other venue details will be shared later.

Hi, when will you be able to confirm our participation? We are changing some travel plans to attend, an early confirmation would help us plan.

Thanks,

Hi Ram/ @astroparent , Id suggest you to go ahead with your other travel plans as we strongly feel that the risk of having kids attend is very high given the current state of the pandemic.

Definitely look forward to having you, in the near future once things get a little more safe for kids.

Hi Kishan, Since we are meeting / staying in an open area, in our estimate the risk of infection is quite low. Happy to take extra precautions if needed. Would be great if you can reconsider.

Thanks
Ram

Hi, when will you be able to confirm our participation?

We would like to wait for a few days and see if the government puts any restriction on gatherings due to COVID-19.

Hi Kishan, Since we are meeting / staying in an open area, in our estimate the risk of infection is quite low

This is true only if you observe with your own gear and don’t use other’s equipments. Unfortunately, that’s not how a star party happens. There’s a lot of discussions and people regularly see through each other’s gears to learn stuff.

How was the star party ? Was the weather clear ?

Hey @Thiyagarajan , the weather forecast was bleak, so we postponed it to this weekend.

Oh … good to hear ! have a good weekend !

Hi, I am interested in the star party. unfortunately I noticed about this event a little late. Since it is postponed to this weekend, can myself and one of my friend register and join the star party ?

Hi @cibisriram , we just cancelled the star party due to the new TN lockdowns that are in place. Please keep an eye on the forum for a post when we plan the next star party (early Feb tentative)!

1 Like

Thanks Kishan, saw in an another post that the event is planned for first half of feb. May I know the dates.

1 Like