Olympus 10x50 DPS I or Olympus 10x50 Explorer S or Nikon Aculon A211 10x50

Hi I’m a beginner. Would like to buy a pair of binoculars.

Olympus 10x50 DPS I is not available on any e-commerce sites. Is it no longer being produced or will it be available again?

If it is phased out, I would like to buy either Olympus 10x50 Explorer S or Nikon Aculon A211 10x50. I would like to know which of these is better. Or are there any other better ones in this price range?

Is ₹10k a reasonable price for Olympus 10x50? I have heard people say they bought it within ₹4k to ₹6k.

2 Likes

@manikandan uses the Nikon Aculon 10x50. Maybe he can provide feedback on this.

1 Like

Hi @steinmani could you please provide your insight regarding this?

Hi
Nikon aculon 10x50 is serving me well past 6 years.
Not the best. But ok for the price.
Olympus explorer s series is new. Claims wider field of view. Costs double than the olympus dps version. No details in the website about how much more wider field or if water proof.
Compared to Olympus dps Nikon aculon is better.

2 Likes

Price of 10k for olympus is reasonable if waterproof

1 Like

Thank you. I was convinced to buy the 10x50 binoculars. But now I saw that Nikon Aculon A211 16x50 has had a price cut and is now at 5.9k. The Nikon Aculon A211 10x50 is priced at 7.9k. So I got a bit confused now. How good or bad is 16x50 over 10x50? I guess the former gives a darker image than the latter. The 16x50 definitely needs a tripod. What else should I consider? Or do you suggest any one of these 2?

10x50.
You can consider 7x50 too.
Its about light gathering in astronomy. Zooming up not necessarily gives a better picture. Objective lens diameter determines your light gathering capacity. Wide field of view gives comfortable experience in exploring the sky, constellations, and star hopping.
For Handheld astronomy, 10 or less than 10x is easier.

2 Likes

Thanks for your suggestion mate!