Guidence for beginners

Hi i am beginner and how do you measure the light pollution of your area to a better view to the sky,it would be great if anyone guide me through this …i mean if there is any app or light meter …or maybe it’s too soon to get light meter if there is one …

Hello @naren_kaka, I’m not sure of what your intention is when it comes to getting/using light pollution meters. If you are just thinking of understanding where you may have decent skies for planning your observation, then you can get a decent estimate from sites like https://www.lightpollutionmap.info . However, if you are thinking of helping the community in general by regularly submitting data to the citizen science project, then first of all, I salute you. I’d then recommend you getting any decent SQMs available locally and go through it’s documentation carefully to ensure you understand how to take measurements and what to avoid before you start taking readings and submitting anywhere.

One more that you may want to consider is the cost of it. They are dearer depending on the interface they offer and whether you want to have them with weatherproof housing etc.

1 Like

Ummm actually I lookin for some clear sky that’s all and I am not doing anything for great cause …i just asked with amature knowledge of stargazing that’s all :sweat_smile::sweat_smile: thank you so much for your light map …