Budget DSLR for Basic Astrophotography

Hey folks! Hope everyone doing well! This is my first post here.
I recently bought an 8-inch GSO Dobsonian Telescope. After making a few visual observations, my interest in astrophotography grew! So started taking images with mobile and also learned some stacking software and I quickly outgrew my mobile camera! Now, I am looking to buy a used DSLR (are used DSLRs good??). Please suggest me a good entry-level low-cost DSLR for my purpose.
Thank You!.

My reccomendation is that you get a cheaper DSLR like a Canon T7 or a Nikon D5600, and then try astrophotography using a camera lens or with your telescope. If you’re using a telescope then u need the adapter

But for astrophotography I’d still reccomend starting with a camera lens (kit lenses will work) and then you can gradually upgrade to star trackers and telescopes

1 Like

Hii Aaravs! Thanks for the suggestion. Anything else you want me to keep in mind while buying used DSLR? I don’t have any experience buying used stuffs.

If the used dslr comes with kit stuff (lenses) then go for it. If not (just camera body) then I’d reccomend you buy a cheap used lens which can go with said dslr

Thanks, mate! btw does shutter count matter?

If you are doing untracked, it may. Your memory card storage also matters. Longer focal lenths mean that you’ll shoot shorter exposures, and you have to take multiple shots to get a decent final stacked result.

Hi @Naveen_R , welcome to CAC.

While a DSLR can get you started with lunar AP with a Dobsonian mount, for planetary, you need a dedicated planetary astro camera. You will also need a tracking equatorial mount that can handle the mount. Some people are able to capture planets with an planetary camera at up to around 2400mm on a Dobsonian by manually moving the scope.

With a DSLR, you can capture the moon using your scope. You can also capture the sun with a filter. If the kit lens is around 50mm, you can do widefield AP even without tracking as long as you keep the exposure to within 6 seconds. capture a lot of them and stack.

I suggest you to do a lot more research before buying equipment.

Thanks for the suggestion @vijay sir!
Regarding tracking, I came across a YouTube video demonstrating an equatorial Dobsonian platform. However, I couldn’t find any vendors selling it in India.

Can you give me the link to the video demonstrating the equatorial Dobsonian platform?