Andromeda - Our Galactic Neighbour

Andromeda - Our Galactic Neighbour !

Andromeda a.k.a M31, NGC 224 is the nearest Major Galaxy to our Milkyway, located at a distance of 250 million Light-years ( that’s just ~2,365,182,600,000,000,000,000 km :wink: ).

It’s also the farthest object that can be seen with naked eyes from Earth.

Apart from the Galaxy’s Core, it’s Dust Lane, and Satellite Galaxies M32 & M110 are prominent in the image.

Oh, I forgot to tell you. Andromeda is on a collision course with our Milkyway, currently approaching at a speed of 110kmps, but don’t worry, we have got 4 billion years to figure out a way.

Chennai, 26.07.2020

Imaging Details :
138 x 20 sec Light + 55 Dark, f/5.6, ISO 5000, 200mm
Tracked & Stacked | DSS, GIMP, Lightroom Mobile
Canon 80D | Sigma Contemporary 150-600 | Sky Watcher Star Adventurer

14 Likes

This is a phenomenal image!

1 Like

Brilliant work, especially for the location from which the image was shot!

1 Like

Stunning. Great work!

@SanthoshD I have been trying to watch Andromeda through naked eyes and my telescope. but no luck so far. Any tips on how to watch it from a Bortle 7 location like Chennai?

Hi @Srilakshmi_N, I would say that observing Andromeda with the eye naked eye in a Bortle 7 location is quite hard.

However, it is an easy target to spot even with small binoculars. Hence, can you please elaborate on what exactly is that you are using?

I’m new to the club and the pic of andromeda pulled me here!!
I’ve been trying to see it for a long time but i cant even see a haze through my Celestron Astromaster 70az . i know that’s a small aperture but still since @Stargazer123 says a small binoculars is enough … why cant i see it? im quite sure im pointing my scope in the right direction and i use the stellarium app on my phone so…

@Stargazer123 iam preparing for the IOAA 2025, for practical sessions i need to be well versed with handling of telescopes(various varieties) where can i learn using the telescopes in chennai? where are those telescopes available in chennai?

A small pair of binoculars is enough to spot Andromeda (provided Bortle<5-6) as even with a small aperture, binos offer a wider field of view, making it easier to spot Andromeda. @PVarshini , try using the eyepiece with the largest focal length to give the widest fov. Also, star hopping helps to ensure that you are pointed exactly in the right direction.

@pranav, I am unaware of any such places in Chennai, however, other members might know.
There are a lot of online resources that show the handling of telescopes in appreciable detail, which should be a good starting point until the next star party.

All the best,
Clear skies,
Lohitaksh

@pranav, enquire with the Brila Planetarium, they may offer help or at least, point you to facilities which may offer help. Not a guarantee, but, worth giving it a shot.

1 Like

Hello @PVarshini, might sound daft, but, how long did you try and how often have you been looking at Stellarium? Did you have the night mode on? Do you have stray light sources near? Thing to consider:

1. You will not be able to see Andromeda similar to the picture or how Stellarium depicts even with a massive aperture telescope from a bortle 1 location. It’s going to appear like a grey fuzzy patch.
  2. All the fainter objects (DSO’s, other galaxies, even the arm of Milky way, can be seen only after dark adaptation which takes time. However, you’ll easily lose dark adaptation by looking at a phone without protection or even some bright objects in the sky such as Jupiter.
  3. Try and use Stellarium during day and plan a star hop to Andromeda, memorise it and try it again with your scope at night.
  4. From your latitude, Andromeda will set early this time of the year. Therefore, try later in the year, say after September, so she’s at a good altitude and easier to spot.
1 Like

hey @Gnana , thanks a lot for tips :grinning:
i do look a stellarium often but it is in night mode and i usually also increase screen-on time to avoid the lock screen… light sources are omnipresent in a city :sweat_smile:street lights and all houses have a light on outside their house throughout the night but i try to reduce the effects by going to the roof top (2nd floor) so there are no direct sources hitting my eyes
I don’t think I’m achieving a good enough dark adaption but it is something.
I do realise that I won’t be seeing a galaxy and as I mentioned before, a faint fuzz will do- just want to know I’m actually seeing it
Anyways, thanks again for suggestions, will try and implement them next time I’m trying to hunt for a DSO and hopefully catch a glimpse of Andromeda later this year🙂
Edit: sorry for the late reply I realised only today that I hadn’t sent this message yet though I was done typing it