Telescopes for beginners

I have no idea. I think the other members may know.

1 Like

Hi congratulations on your new scope.
Even I have the same scope and had same doubts.

You will have to ask your kids to see without touching it.

Regarding your finderscope, right angle/ eyepiece cannot be used to replace the straight view finder simply by unscrewing and replacing.
You will have to cut the scope to get the focus for a right angle view finder.

3 Likes

@Stargazer123 has given a good response.

One more doubt, can we change the highlighted one with right angle instead of buying complete new right angle finder scope?

As @steinmani has said, you will either have to buy a new finderscope or cut this one and somehow attach a right angled view finder.

2 Likes

@parthiiban, apologies for a very late response. I just joined the club today. One thing you have to consider is both GSO and Orion Dobs are top heavy. So, if you are pointing to objects roughly below a 60 deg altitude and also use any heavy eyepieces, then it does slip. You can use some counterweights some magnets at the base moved to the desired height depending on the object you are viewing would help rather than trying to increase the tension on the knobs.

2 Likes

Welcome and thanks
Problem is not altitude but azimuth movement is too smooth. Turns away even with mild breeze

Wow, that’s the first time I’ve heard someone complain about reducing the az movement on a Dob. What have you got between the base and rocker? I’d love to have some of that.

Do you have Teflon pads or a ball bearing lazysusan type attachment?

If it’s Teflon pads and if there aren’t many of them, I’d suggest tightening the bolt that connects them or if you seem to have too many pads stuck there which is reducing friction then maybe you can remove a few of them equally spaced.

If it’s the ball bearing one, I’m sorry can’t think of anything for that.

Its a ball bearing type. Anyways now I feel movement is manageable after a year.
May be because of grime in the ball bearing

Hey, thanks for the suggestion. I will try this.

@Chandrasekar_C Are you happy with purchasing GSO Nightwatch instead of Professional? I am also planning to buy GSO Nightwatch 10".

1 Like