Moon (Surface features)

Closeup of the moon

After a long time i have again started to take some astro-photographs !

So here is my latest one !!! “Closeup of the moon”

This is a part of the Longomontanus-Schiller region . This picture covers about 3-8% of moons surface

Equipment - Orion xt8 , Zwo asi120 mc-s , 2X barlow and a laptop

Technical detail - 6k frames captured in sharpcap (480 fps) , centered in PIPP , stacked in autostacker and edited in registax

Note: Completely hand tracked and no tracking method was used

Thank you !

22 Likes

Hi guys! so after a long time coming back to our own moon with an all-new surface feature!!!

The Trio Craters

These craters are considered as the most beautiful trios in the entirety of moon’s surface!

Hardware details -

Orion XT-8
ZWO ASI120 mc-s
2x barlow (At 2400mm focal length)

Image details -

The Trio Craters - Theophilus, Cyrillus and Catharina crater
taken on 29th of Dec at 6:10PM (IST)

Also includes -

Sinus asperitatis
Mare nectaris
Mons Penck (Mountain)
Kant crater
Ibn-Rushd crater
Tacitus crater
Madler crater
Daguerre crater
Beaumont crater
Polybius crater
Lava tubes

Capture details -

Output Format=AVI files (*.avi)
Binning=1
Capture Area=1280x960
Color Space=RGB24
Temperature=35
Duration=88.573s
Frame Count=5266
Time Zone=+5.50

Software details -

Sharpcapture
PIPP
Autostackker
Registax
Pixelup (Android application)

4 Likes

Good morning/evening folks!

It’s been a long time since i posted anything here (I have started my UG :grin:). So i thought of posting some useful resource by explaining how combinations of different equipment (eyepieces, barlow lenses) and camera (mobile phone, dedicated astronomy camera) work together. Here i have explained this with the help of my photos for reference and the links for the equipments i used are given below. Please do check out And correct me if i am wrong!!!

1. Moon through my phone (OnePlus nord ce 5g) :point_down:

Roughly 10x magnification

1. Moon through my phone (One Plus nord ce 5g) attached to my telescope in low magnification (25 mm eyepeice) :point_down:

Roughly 48x magnification

1. Moon through my phone (One Plus nord ce 5g) attached to my telescope in medium magnification (12 mm eyepeice) :point_down:

Roughly 100x magnification (Both the previous image and this one are of same relative size but you can see the difference in the quality of these 2)

1. Moon through my zwo asi 120-mc s cam with 2x barlow :point_down:

Roughly 350x!!! magnification

So how i did this calculation ?

So we use this formula of “Focal length of telescope (or) lens / focal length of eye piece” to find the magnification provided by telescope/lens.

More info regarding this is given in the link below : How to Calculate the Magnification of Any Telescope (Calculator) - Look at the Sky

Links for the equipments :

Orion XT-8 dobsonian telescope : Orion SkyQuest XT8 Classic Dobsonian Telescope | Orion Telescopes

ASI120MC-S (color) : ASI120MC-S (color) – ZWO ASI (astronomy-imaging-camera.com)

2 Likes

Good explanation @Thiyagarajan , would be very helpful for some budding stargazers and would be astrophotographers.

1 Like

Thank you @Gnana, hope it helped!

1 Like

Are the pictures of the moon with your phone attached to the telescope stacked and processed or are they single shots? Also, how do you manage to get rid of chromatic aberration? I always find it when I take pictures of the moon with my phone and 8 inch gso dob. And, which plate solving software did you use for the final image? Thanks in advance.

Clear skies,
Lohitaksh

1 Like

Hi @Stargazer123!!! So, the first 3 images all were taken using my phone “handheld” (I didn’t use a phone-telescope adapter). None of the first three images were stacked and all I did was, just edited them using “Snapseed” (Google’s software/app) while post-processing. As well as, I have never seen Chromatic aberration with my phone when photographing moon though. I have only seen them when i photograph Venus or Jupiter that too with my main camera (Zwo asi-120mcs) at high magnification where the atmosphere distrubance s make the RGB colors of objects to separate and vibrate.

1 Like

Sorry are you guys referring to comatic / chromatic aberration here? With an XT8, I wouldn’t expect to see much comatic issues either.

Lohitaksh, I do not know what scope you have, but chromatic aberration is for refractors which is greatly reduced by APOs. However, if you are using a reflector that is super fast, (something like F/2 or on a bad day in a F/4 and below) and you are shooting prime focus, you may see comatic aberrations.

If you are using a refractor, an acromat, then am afraid there is no quick fix for it other than upgrading to a decent apochromat. Siva might be able to guide you on what you can get and where as far as Apo’s as I believe he uses a William Optics one for his astrophotography.

2 Likes

@Thiyagarajan, that’s some nice explanation. Afocal photos are really a delight for beginners. Thanks for sharing.

Here is a photo of the moon when it had a kind of conjunction with Jupiter which I took last October with a DSLR at 300mm.

I’ll start my own thread in a few days with what I have taken so far and also another thread on how I converted my EQ-5 mount to GoTo with Onstep.

3 Likes

Thank you @vijay!!! Yours is truly amazing!!! It would be really helpful for folks to know more about each other’s style and creativity on capturing all kinds of astronomical stuffs. And i would love to know more about your mount modifications as i may get some ideas for making a Goto setup for my dob as it is becoming tougher to handle scopes in high magnifications while imaging these days.

Here is a showcase page page where many have converted their mounts, including dobs to GoTo.
https://onstep.groups.io/g/main/wiki/4414

Converting an EQ mount to Goto is relatively easy. I mean you have to do some mechanical modification and make your own Onstep controller. You should be able to get ideas from those who have already converted their dobs.

1 Like

Keen to see how you’ve done it @vijay.

1 Like

Hi @Gnana, I am referring to chromatic aberration here (red-blue fringes of light around bright objects). Although my scope does have a bit of comatic aberration (coma) at the edges of the field, it is not very profound.

Hi @Stargazer123, Do you see colour fringes when viewing through an eyepiece? (Most decent eyepieces do not show perceptible chromatic aberration BTW at low mag.) Could the chromatic aberration have been introduced by the phone camera lens?

I see no chromatic abberation with DSOs or planets, but however, it is evident when I observe the moon (through my eye not the camera). I think that the phone camera also contributes to the chromatic abberation when I take photographs.

It could be the eyepiece. Which one are you using?

1 Like

I read your earlier comment again properly now. My bad, I didn’t see that you had mentioned gso dob earlier. It is very strange that you get chromatic issues with the dob. Have you tried with different phones &/ eyepiece combinations? As Vijay had pointed out earlier, there is a very remote possibility due to eyepiece or the phone that’s giving you the chromatic aberration. In fact, in my dob, I have not had such issues even if I use the eyepieces that came free with the telescope.

2 Likes

I am using a 30mm 2inch eyepiece which was provided with the telescope. As you mentioned, I do not see chromatic abberation through the other 9mm 1.25 inch eyepiece.

Good you’ve got the culprit. As I mentioned earlier, there is no quick fix solution for chromatic aberration. You may have to switch to using prime focus imaging with a camera or use a different eyepiece. But I’d urge you to spend more time at the eyepiece looking through it than at a picture through your phone or other cameras. I’m aware it’s personal preference, but my suggestion is purely because you get a lot of astro darkness throughout the year and the Chennai I grew up in, is never cold.

2 Likes

Moon

Good morning/evening folks!
I used my 12 mm eyepeice with the 2x barlow to capture this full disc shot of the moon

Hardware details -

Orion XT-8
smartphone (OnePlus nord ce)

Software details -

Snapseed
Pixelup (Android application)

2 Likes